Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Call of Duty: Eh.

(Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3)

It's been two Call of Duty games since I've purchased a Call of Duty title. After Modern Warfare 3, I learned I wanted to value my money better.

Most games cost $60 dollars, so why drop that on Call of Duty? Well it has simple multiplayer. The multiplayer aspect of Call of Duty is so easy to get used to, and it can be fun. There is a lot of guns to equip and customize for the player's class. The diversity of the online game modes also give a refreshing aspect too. But the singleplayer is garbage (I'm a huge fan of campaigns). 

The first Call of Duty I ever purchased was Call of Duty 3 on the Wii. That version of the game was barely playable. However, I will judge Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition. The controls worked on the Wii, but the story mode was just alright. After Call of Duty:Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition, I purchased Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which was my favorite multiplayer Call of Duty. Despite the good multiplayer, the campaign felt very similar to its prequel. It was not the characters that made it just decent, but rather the ending. It was unoriginal because it had the same ending sequence as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. 

When I finally finished Call of Duty: Black Ops, I liked the game because the story was different. It focused on flashbacks rather than the present. Once again though, the ending was similar to the previous Call of Duty games. Like Call of Duty: World at War, the game included the Zombies mode. Zombies is an addicting mode, but fades after awhile. 

When Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was announced, I didn't know how to feel. The game didn't look pleasing, and my expectations were right. The campaign was awful (like most Call of Duty games), Spec Ops mode was not on par with Zombies mode, and the multiplayer downright bored me. So, now I play Call of Duty games before I purchase them. 

Well, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 came out, and I rented the game from my local Redbox. The campaign wasn't interesting, the multiplayer continued to not fascinate me at all, and the Zombies mode felt incomplete. The only time I've ever played Call of Duty: Ghosts was when Steam had a free multiplayer weekend. It didn't persuade me to say, "Shut up and take my money!"

Releasing in November is Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Watching the trailers, it looks like another futuristic Call of Duty game. Sorry Sledgehammer Games, but I will not be purchasing another game that is very similar to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and Call of Duty: Ghosts. 

Unless somebody donates $60 to my PayPal account, that game will not see a spot in my PlayStation 4 library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment